I don’t know if Bonfire Night is a holiday wizards have much interest in but Fawkes is named after the infamous Guy and they have a healthy appreciation for fireworks so I’ll assume they celebrate it. Whether you go for Dr Filibusters No Heat Wet Start Fireworks or Weasleys’ Wizzad Whiz-Bangs what you really need is some marshmallowy cupcakes and mulled cider:
2 apples studded with cloves
4-6 cinnamon sticks
zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
Put all the ingredients in a large saucepan and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Nicking this from the hummingbird bakery cake days book.
1 0z good quality dark chocolate
5 digestive biscuits
3 oz unsalted butter
10 oz caster sugar
7 oz plain flour
1 1/2 oz cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
240 ml whole milk
7 oz caster sugar
4 egg whites
dark chocolate squares to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 170 oC and line a muffin tin with bun cases. Shave the chocolate with a cheese grater Crush the digestives with a rollling pin
2. Using a electric hand whisk beat together the butter, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt on a low speed till it resembles breadcrumbs.
3 Lightly beat the egg and milk in a jug and pour in three quarters of of the egg and milk into the dry ingredients. Mix on a low speed to combine. Increase the speed and mix till smooth and thick. Then add the remaining liquid and keep mixing till incorporated into a smooth batter.
4. Fill each paper case two thirds full. Sprinkle the grated chocolate and two thirds of the crushed biscuits on top.
5. Bake for 18 20 minutes then remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
6. Once cooled you can make the topping. Put the sugar in a saucepan with 5 1/2 fl oz of water and bring to the boil. Meanwhile use the electric whisk to beat the egg whites till foamy.
7. When the sugar has boiled for 5-10 minutes and has reached the soft ball stage (This stage can be determined by dropping a spoonful of hot syrup into a bowl of very cold water. In the water, use your fingers to gather the cooled syrup into a ball. If it has reached soft-ball stage, the syrup easily forms a ball while in the cold water, but flattens once removed from the water.) pour on to the beaten eggs while whisking on a medium speed. Once added whisk on high speed until the meringue is white smooth and shiny.
8. Smooth the meringue on the cupcakes with a palette knife. Brown the meringue with a blow torch or put it under a hot grill for a few seconds. Decorate with chocolate squares and biscuit crumbs.